Development DirectorCompany: New Jersey Audubon
Date Posted: June 13, 2017
The Development Director has the primary responsibility for individual fundraising efforts in southern New Jersey. The Development Director will manage a small portfolio of donors and work closely with our mission areas and Cape May center directors with cultivation and solicitation of prospects. The Development Director will work closely with the VP of Development and Communications to coordinate the organization’s fundraising strategy and priorities.
- Responsible for fundraising for the southern region of the state supporting mission areas and Cape May centers.
- Manages schedule, logistics and cultivation/solicitation strategy for VP for Development and Communications and President and CEO in the southern region of the state.
- Coordinates closely with VP of Development and Communications in coordinating solicitation strategies organization-wide.
- Develops cultivation and stewardship opportunities for Cape May region.
- Creates and oversees central business membership and sponsorship strategy for Cape May region.
- Works with Director of Corporate and Foundations Relations to develop corporate and foundation relationships in southern portion of state.
- Works closely with organization staff with fundraising related events to develop sponsorship and individual giving opportunities for the World Series of Birding and the Catch of Cape May.
- Works with volunteers as required to advance fundraising to support mission areas and Cape May Centers.
- Performs other general administrative duties as needed.
- Participates with other staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at assigned center and between development and the centers.
- Skilled in fundraising event management, prospect management and prospect research required.
- Computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office, Excel, Raiser’s Edge (or related donor management system) required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience and knowledge with effectively working with a variety of personalities, including management, donors and volunteers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Informed and committed to the role that environmental education, conservation and research plays in our society today and its importance for the future.
- Interest in environmental/nature related organizations preferable.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Three to five years proven history of successfully cultivating and soliciting gifts from individuals.
- Knowledge of annual giving, membership, special events, online giving and social media trends in fundraising helpful.
- High energy and passion for NJ Audubon's mission.
- Must be willing to travel in New Jersey. This requires a reliable vehicle and a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the organization, including availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces and be able to lift at least 25 pounds, in order to participate in special events.
Starting Date: Immediate.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: This position will remain posted until filled.
Application: Qualified individuals may apply by emailing resume with cover letter as a single pdf document, listing job position in subject line, to email@example.com
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.