The New Jersey Council for the Humanities seeks a Director of Development and Communications to be part of our organizational transformation. At NJCH you will work in partnership with a committed Executive Director, creative staff, and engaged board to plan and implement a targeted fundraising program and to communicate NJCH’s mission and program objectives to donors, stakeholders, and public audiences.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creation of an annual fundraising plan
- Philanthropy research and analysis
- Staffing the board’s development committee
- Database development and optimization
- Writing and editing cases for support
- Leveraging events and public programs to build relationships
- Donor stewardship
- Developing a social media strategy
- Writing, producing, and distributing communication pieces for multiple media platforms and audiences
Why work with us?
- We have conducted stakeholder research, ensured the relevancy of our mission, and are ready for this next stage in our organizational development
- We are passionate about cultivating new humanities audiences and bringing people of different backgrounds and perspectives together
- We have an engaged and supportive board
- We embrace innovation and experimentation as a means of developing our organization and our field
- We support each other and invest in professional development
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- The skills and determination to convert the enthusiasm of humanities supporters into donations and grants
- At least 5 years development experience
- A humanities education and ability to understand the goals of public humanities programs
- Persistence and follow-through in maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to create positive, long-term relationships by demonstrating a commitment to collaboration and customer service
- An ethos of building the organization through collaboration and teamwork
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. NJCH offers a full benefits package.
About the New Jersey Council for the Humanities
Located in Trenton, New Jersey, NJCH is a nonprofit organization established in 1972 as the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).
The mission of the New Jersey Council for the Humanities (NJCH) is to harness the power of the humanities to strengthen our pluralistic society. Our vision is a New Jersey that delights in diversity, appreciates that there are no easy answers, and finds joy and understanding in the humanities.
NJCH is a grantmaker, program provider, partner, convener, and innovator. We work with statewide and community organizations to bring dynamic programming to the local level.
NJCH is a member of the Federation of State Humanities Councils.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a letter outlining your interest and fit for the position; a resume or CV; names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name in the subject line.
Address your letter of interest to Briann Greenfield, Ph.D., Executive Director.
Review of applications will begin July 15, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
The New Jersey Council for the Humanities values and respects diversity.