DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENTCompany: Philabundance
Date Posted: October 22, 2013
Hunger is a community-wide problem that requires community support. Philabundance has a growing base of supporters through the generosity of over 70,000 individual donors, corporations, foundations and other philanthropic organizations that contribute 85% of the organization’s $10.5 million operating budget.
With five locations, including two warehouses, a fleet of 14 trucks, a staff of over 150 people, and a volunteer program of over 15,000 volunteers per year, we have the resources to make a difference in the Delaware Valley. By joining our team, you, too, can make a difference, as part of one of the most innovative hunger relief organizations in the U.S. Philabundance is looking for dedicated, creative, and inspired team members—if this describes you, join us! We are proud to be a veteran-friendly, equal-opportunity employer.
The Development Director (the ‘Director’) in close collaboration with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) has responsibility to provide vision, leadership, direction and oversight for Philabundance’s direct marketing including donor acquisition, annual fund, online giving and other vehicles; Supervises department operations and functions including database, research and prospect management, gift acknowledgement and financial reporting.; Develops and implements a donor stewardship plan (including correspondence, events and other engagement opportunities) tailored to donor segments and giving levels.
This position is expected to deliver net revenue, acquire new supporters, and cultivate, upgrade and retain a pipeline of donors for the purpose of increasing long-term value. The Director will also have a working knowledge of donor and program metrics to help build out a robust growth strategy. Oversight includes: Annual Fund / Direct Mail, Mid-level donor growth, and implementation of a monthly donor program. Strong focus will be placed on the Annual Fund and generating gifts from individuals, new prospects and expanding fundraising efforts into previously untapped areas within the 9-county Philabundance region as well as maximizing existing campaigns and events.
- Minimum of five years successful fundraising experience, including planning and campaigns involving multiple fundraising disciplines and strategies; experience managing vendors and a development staff.
- Commitment to the values and mission of Philabundance in driving social change and building coalitions to eliminate hunger is essential.
- Strong personnel management techniques and experience to build a donor services team and deliver a high level of customer service.
- Proven ability to initiate action and motivate others.
- Strong planning skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Proficient in Raiser’s Edge.
- Supervises Annual Fund Manager and manages the execution of multi-channel donor renewal and acquisition programs, sustainer program, lapsed reactivation, middle donor, major/legacy donor bridge program and ancillary programs, including donor acknowledgement/recognition, memorial/tribute, matching gift and list rental.
- Effective management of internal and external resources including a full-service agency of record, list broker, database services and donor services staff.
- Establishes forecasts and evaluates fundraising potential, researches and identifies sources of funds to support Philabundance programs.
- Develops budget, action plans, methods, materials, procedures and reports for all activities and campaigns to enhance effectiveness and maximize revenue.
- Works collaboratively the Development and Marketing staff to coordinate prospect and donor cultivation, implementation of direct response campaigns and successful events and ensure delivery of unified brand to Philabundance’s constituencies.
- Establishes and implements plan and guidelines for donor stewardship and recognition; creates recognition letters and develops means of stewardship for donors that effectively and enthusiastically convey the organization’s appreciation.
- Employs innovative methods to communicate the mission of Philabundance.
- Collaborates with finance, program staff and database manager to ensure appropriate reporting, documentation and required follow up.
- Works with the CDO to build profile of major donor/planned gift prospects and create a bridge to relationships with such donors.
- Oversees the donor database manager and the gift processors, with the support of the CDO, to ensure the integrity of donor information, timely processing of gifts and accuracy of information.
- Serves as a key spokesperson. Builds and maintains appropriate external relationships and coalitions. Stays abreast of relevant development opportunities with various community groups and agencies.
- Supports the effectiveness of Philabundance’s development programs. Co-develops and implements innovative strategies for continually improving the impact, effectiveness and quality of Philabundance fundraising activities.
- Provides direction on funding potential of established and future programs. Works closely with Programs Department to implement plans, budgets and forecasts, build community awareness and cultivate relationships.
- Excellent writing skills including experience with direct marketing correspondence and packages and stewardship vehicles.
- Strategic data-driven thinker with excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Strong presenter to audiences of various backgrounds – volunteers, clients, corporations, foundations, and donors.
- Team player, willingness to help others achieve success in fundraising campaigns.
- High level computer literacy skills.
- Ability to work in a seated position up to 8 hours a day; perform office tasks using simple hand grasp, fine hand manipulation, and reach; periodically lift/lower, push/pull and carry objects/parcels.
- Understand, read, write, and speak English.
We are accepting cover letters and resumes at http://philabundance.catsone.com/careers