Major Gifts OfficerCompany: Philabundance
Date Posted: September 27, 2013
Major Gifts Officer
How is it possible that in this land of plenty, we are still unable to meet a basic human need? Access to food is a fundamental right, and yet families in our area continue to go to sleep hungry. We at Philabundance believe that this is unacceptable, and strive every day to end hunger in our region.
During our almost 30-year battle against hunger, Philabundance has evolved from one woman collecting food in her station wagon into a broad-based community effort that feeds over 70,000 people each week through a wide range of programs. We do this through partnerships with food cupboards and other local agencies throughout our region; kids’ feeding programs at area schools; farmer’s market-like food distribution centers for fresh produce; choice cupboards that allow our clients to select their own food; supplemental food boxes for seniors, and our newest innovation, Fare & Square, a non-profit grocery store in Chester’s former food desert.
In addition to providing access to food, we are addressing the causes of food poverty, including unemployment and underemployment. Philabundance’s job training programs provide our graduates with the skills they need to succeed in the culinary arts and service industries. By providing extensive training programs and post-graduate support, we ensure our Philabundance Community Kitchen graduates experience high job placement and retention rates.
Without the generosity of thousands of area donors, none of this would be possible, and we are fortunate to have built up a loyal and steadily-growing base of donors, including individuals, corporations, foundations and other philanthropic organizations.
With five locations, including two warehouses, a fleet of 14 trucks, a staff of over 150 people, and a volunteer program of over 15,000 volunteers per year, we have the resources to make a difference in the Delaware Valley. By joining our team, you, too, can make a difference, as part of one of the most innovative hunger relief organizations in the U.S. Philabundance is looking for dedicated, creative, and inspired team members—if this describes you, join us! We are proud to be a veteran-friendly, equal-opportunity employer.
Under the general direction of the Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer, the Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is responsible for maintaining and increasing funding from high net‐worth individuals through effective identification, cultivation, and solicitation of donors. The focus of this position will be to identify and deepen relationships with individuals who support Philabundance in the Delaware Valley and beyond.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree; Master’s Degree preferred
• CFRE preferred
• 5 years paid, non-profit experience in individual donor development and major gift solicitation
• Experience managing a portfolio of high net worth individual donors
• Proven ability to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with donors, volunteers, Board of Directors, and staff
• Local knowledge of the Philadelphia philanthropic community
• High-level computer literacy skills; Experience with donor databases, ideally Raiser’s Edge
• Superior writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with the ability to make dynamic group presentations
• Demonstrated planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities
• Ability to work in a team environment, as well as independently, on department activities and initiatives with a positive attitude
• Commitment to the mission and vision of Philabundance
• Attend community events, meetings, or conferences to promote organizational goals or solicit donations or sponsorships
• Contact corporate representatives, government officials, or community leaders to increase awareness of organizational causes, activities, or needs
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to provide accurate and timely activity and pipeline reports, as well as revenue forecasts
• Maintain accurate information in the donor database
• Effectively manage Philabundance resources
• Ability to work full-time, flexible hours; some weekday evenings and weekends required
• Perform office tasks using simple hand grasp, fine hand manipulation, and reach associated with assigned tasks such as use of telephone and other office equipment
• Periodically lift/lower, push/pull and carry objects/parcels
• Ability to work in a seated position up to 8 hours a day
We are accepting cover letters and resumes at http://philabundance.catsone.com/careers.